The figure of four times a day of men being killed in the course of a day is staggering.
It is a daily occurrence, particularly in the suburbs and the outer south-east of Sydney, where the daily rate of fatalities has soared in recent years.
The numbers are staggering.
On average, about 10 men a day are killed on New Year’s Eve.
In the past two weeks alone, there have been seven fatalities.
Two men were killed in Kings Cross on New Years Eve.
The other three have died since.
Five men were struck and killed in Newtown last weekend.
The two men in Newtown died of their injuries.
And on the weekend of Monday 3 December, a 24-year-old man died at the foot of the Yarra Walk from what police described as “non-life threatening injuries”.
The same day, another 24-month-old woman was hit by a vehicle in south-west Sydney.
Three people were killed and another five were injured when a truck driver hit pedestrians in the city’s west-end.
An 18-year old woman was killed and a man was critically injured when he was hit in the neck and head by a bus driver on Wednesday night.
More than 200 people were treated in hospital for injuries including fractures and internal injuries in the New Year.
What are the numbers?
According to figures released on Tuesday, there were more than 9,000 incidents of people being struck and run over in New Year celebrations across the city in 2017.
This compares to about 2,700 in the first half of the year.
One in three people were struck by a car in the second half of 2017, compared to one in five in the same period last year.
(Supplied: NSW Police)A quarter of New Year Eve-related injuries are from pedestrians, a figure that is still significantly higher than in any other year.
In a year that saw the coronavirus outbreak in New South Wales, the number was higher than the peak in the outbreak.
Newtown saw more than 500 people struck and nearly 600 were injured in the week that followed, with most of the victims aged between 20 and 39.
Police say there are now between 7,000 and 10,000 people being treated in hospitals for injuries from the coronavees, including broken bones and internal bleeding.
A coronavee was first reported on Tuesday afternoon and is still being investigated.
Police have not released details of the circumstances surrounding the incident but say they are still investigating.
On Monday, the death toll in the Newtown area was higher when an 18-month old boy died in hospital.
Tributes poured in from around the country and overseas for the family of the boy, who died on New Day after he was struck by the truck driver.
“My heart is broken for his family and I would like to thank everyone who has supported us during this difficult time,” a GoFundMe page has been set up.
Many of the messages expressed sadness for the victim’s parents and their children.
Australian actor and writer David Harbour, who has a two-year contract with ABC TV, tweeted that his family had been “wounded in this epidemic”.
“I am heartbroken,” Harbour said.
Herald Sun reporter Tom Campbell said he was “devastated” by the death of a man whose family was “in a lot of pain”.
He said he felt a “sense of hopelessness”.
“I’m just hoping this can bring them some comfort,” Campbell said.
Police said they were investigating the death and were working to find out what led to the accident.