A former Marines and a former Army soldier killed themselves by driving their vehicles into an Army recruiting station in southeastern Michigan.
The suicide of Sgt. Robert D. Thomas, 35, of New Britain, Michigan, was confirmed Wednesday by the Michigan State Police, which said Thomas and a Marine were among four people killed in the March 4 rampage in a remote area outside of Burnsville.
The men were members of the 2nd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment, and were assigned to Camp Randall in southern Michigan, said Lt.
Col. Richard Gurnick, spokesman for Camp Randall.
Thomas and another Marine died from injuries, Gurnrick said.
The attack was the second fatal military incident in the state in less than a month, and was the latest in a string of suicide attacks in the last year that have strained relations between the two military branches.
A federal judge in April ordered a halt to the Army’s use of an online recruiting drive that had been running for three months, saying it was unconstitutional because it was not a mandatory service.
The Army had been using the recruitment system since August, when it started using a separate online recruiting system that had the same restrictions as the recruiting system.
The Army had not released the online recruiting data, but the state and Army had both said the online system was operating flawlessly.
Thomas was a former Marine who enlisted in 2009 and was assigned to Fort Carson, Colorado, the Army said.
He joined the 2-1/2-star Marine Corps in 2009, and after two deployments to Afghanistan, he was reassigned to Fort Riley, Kansas, where he remained until March.
He had recently been promoted to lieutenant commander, Grew, the military said.